Here is the 60 Minutes interview with Michael Vick, which includes a segment with Wayne Pacelle from the HSUS:
Everyone’s got their opinion about it. I’ve already written mine. But here are my thoughts again, this time in bullet points:
- I see potential benefit to dogs if Vick works with anti-dogfighting programs like those that the HSUS does. His celebrity status and personal history can be persuasive. He could convince people, who might not be convinced otherwise, to stop dogfighting.
- It’s worth remembering how we can all do something to help dogs, right now, no matter who we are. We don’t need to look to the HSUS or the NFL or the criminal justice system to do it for us. We can do what’s right – with or without their help!
- we can promote homeless dog adoption,
- we can lobby against breed-prejudiced laws,
- we can do undercover work to expose dogfighters,
- we can educate family, friends, neighbors, strangers about dogfighting,
- we can be foster parents for needy dogs,
- we can volunteer at shelters,
- we can work to end puppymills,
- we can donate goods or money to shelters,
- we can rescue dogs in trouble… the list goes on and on…
- It’s worth remembering that compassion for animals shouldn’t stop with pets. We can do more for animals by going vegan. We can do even more by encouraging others to go vegan.