Ginny Messina, a well known vegan Registered Dietitian, published an updated vegan food guide.
This guide is useful for new vegans, vegans who want to eat more healthily, and for anyone curious about healthy vegan eating.
The general guidelines are as follows:
- Grains: 6 or more servings per day
- Legumes, Nuts, & Soyfoods: 5 or more servings per day
- Vegetables: 4 or more servings per day
- Fruits: 2 or more servings per day
- Fats: “No minimum amount; you don’t have to include these foods in your diet, but it’s fine to have a few servings every day.”
- Also, eat some fortified foods, supplements, etc. to ensure adequate intake of vitamin B12, iodine, and vitamin D.
Want to know how big a serving is? Curious about calcium? Check out Messina’s website for more details >>