Random news, views, and stews related to veganism:
- News: An episode of 30 Days airs on June 17th (on FX). “George Snedeker is an avid hunter who considers it much more than just a sport; to George, hunting is a way of life. [...] For 30 Days, George will live in Los Angeles with vegan Melissa Karpel, 29, and her vegan family.”
- Recipe: Soy-Mirin Tofu Over Rice with Broccoli and Peanut Sauce
- News: “Eight years after a 3-year-old girl died from exposure to tainted meat at a Sizzler restaurant, her family reached a $13.5 million settlement with the company’s meat supplier and others.” The scary part is that she didn’t even eat meat – she ate food that came in contact with tainted meat! Read more: meat company pays for e coli death.
- Theory: There’s a new podcast out from Vegan Freak Radio. This one is about KFC and PETA mostly, but there’s other stuff in there, too. Click here to listen >>
- Theory: Likewise, there’s another podcast out from Food For Thought / Compassionate Cooks. This one is a story about a boy who talked with animals. Click here to listen >>
- Theory: Mary Martin reviews a new book called Terrorists or Freedom Fighters? She says, “I couldn’t disagree with the notion that being against nonviolent direct action (that includes property damage and sabotage) is speciesist” Read her review.
- Recipe: Vegan chickpea and greens burger on a whole wheat kaiser with chickpeas, and kale
- Theory: New essay from Human-Nonhuman Relations called A Sociology of Compromise. Worth a look.
- Theory: Thoughts about sustainability come from Invisible Voices. Check it out >>
- News: From Suicide Food we learn “Your meat isn’t going to grill itself.” No sh*t Sherlock. And animals don’t usually kill themselves either. Meat comes from dead animals. It’s oddly disconcerting and at the same time comforting that some animal product marketing campaigns embrace the truth.
- Recipe: Grilled Seitan, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Grilled Asparagus, Strawberry Cream Cheese Tart
- Activism: Downloadable abolitionist pamphlet to promote veganism and animal rights. Get it here >>
- News: Remember, Vegan Soapbox is giving away another cookbook >>
Got more vegan news, views, and stews? Leave links in the comments!