Generally, Vegan Bites is a roundup of varied vegan information from across the web. It’s usually got some recipes and some news bits and commentary.
But this time, Vegan Bites is dedicated to one topic.
Today, it’s all about the swine flu and related tidbits…
- “Health officials estimate that as many as 1 million Americans now have the new swine flu.” source: AP
- “The novel H1N1 influenza is continuing to spread here in the United States and around the globe. What we’re seeing is varying by region in the United States and in different countries. The key point is that this new infectious disease is not going away. In the U.S., we’re still experiencing a steady increase in the number of reported cases. Of course, reported cases are really just the tip of the iceberg. ” (source)
- 127 deaths in the US from the swine flu. Source: CDC
- Smithfield, the company that owned the swine flu “ground zero” pig farm, said it wouldn’t meet the 2017 deadline to switch from cruel gestation crates to “group housing.” They cite insufficient funds as their reason. (source)
- “WHO said it was raising the infectious diseases alert to Phase 6, its highest level.” (source)
- Get a behind the scenes look at one pig farm >>
- “in Egypt, the general public is in a panic over the virus. On May 6, the popular TV talk show El-Beit Beitak aired a video of locals in the Abu Rawash district near Haram hurling stones at pigs and trying to run them over with their vehicles.” read more here.
- Soapbox Flashback: Swine Flu Talking Points