Every once in a while I collect a bunch of vegan recipes, news stories, blog postings, and other information about veganism and post it together in something called “vegan bites.” The result is a mish-mash of all things related to veganism and animal rights.
This is one of those posts…
brought to you by the letter S.
- The Infamous Seitan Recipe o’ Greatness
- Slow-Cooker Seitan Pot Roast
- Creamy Baked Kale
- Vegan fish sticks with sauteed kale and chickpeas
- Roasted Apricot Ice Cream with Almond Praline Ripple
- Top five vegetarian and vegan brunch spots in Chicago
Vegan News (and gossip):
- “Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi got hitched this weekend [...]Progressive in everyway, not only did the happy couple help make Hollywood history, but they also represented for all the vegetarians and vegans out there.” Read more >>
- “Sandra Oh is not only vegan, but is opening up the eyes of her Grey’s Anatomy castmates to the veg lifestyle. ” Read details >>
- “Geoff Rowley, a world renowned skater and dedicated vegan, has teamed up with Vans to release a line of hot new vegan sneakers. The Vegan Vans range features a number of styles fit for the skate park and the street.” Read more here >>
- “It’s a great time to be vegan. Not only are we saving animals, the environment, and our own lives by eating healthy, nutritious plant-based foods, in general, we’re also saving money at the supermarket.The prices of meat, milk, cheese, and eggs are rising steadily due to the sky-rocketing costs of animal feed.” Read the rest >>
- “More African Americans are going vegan in South Los Angeles, and the restaurant industry is responding with alternative options on their menus.” Read the whole story >>
- Royce Drake discusses the us (humans) versus them (animals) discourse: “I’ve thought a bit about chimeras, specifically parahumans, for quite awhile. Basically since I heard about the rabbit/human embryo in China back in 2003. [...] There is a fear that if this happens we won’t be able to judge what is human and not. People really seem to hate the idea of a spectrum. [...] So this fear of chimeras is based on speciesist claims that basically rely on a human supremacist view of the world, and animals.” Read the whole thing at Vegans of Color >>
- “The prepubescent serial killer, the gangbanger, the Christian, genocidal President, the Marine rapist, the stockyards, the chicken plant, the Southern plantation are all part of the same continuum. Speciesm begat Sexism begat Racism begat begat begat. [...] the first oppression that one can identify clearly is that of animals. The ability to separate ones’ feeling self from what’s between their fork and their knife, the ability to care about some life – but not all life, the ability to laugh at or laugh off the suffering of animals [...] That deadening and the “selective compassion’ that results, is why we sit on our hands as Iraqis are blown to pieces, or now blow themselves to pieces in rage, in despair at the barbaric treatment that they suffer. Its why Darfur is happening and nobody is doing anything about it. Its why Bush can steal two elections. We pretend we’re better than animals but we are not…We are simply the tamest, most domesticated, most brutally detached animals on the planet.” Read more here >>
- Get Active on World Farm Animals Day >> (more here)
- A lot of the time we’re working for nonhuman animals. But veganism includes the human animal as well. As a vegan activist for all animals, I support fair trade. Are you interested in promoting fair trade? If so, here’s a petition to get fair trade bananas in more supermarkets.