News and commentary regarding veganism and animals…
- Animal intelligence and human cruelty: “Santino, a 30-year old chimp who lives at a Swedish zoo, hates gawkers. So in his spare time, when the zoo his closed, he methodically gathers rocks from the moat in his enclosure. When the zoo opens, he becomes enraged and throws the rocks at the visitors.” link
- “His name is Victor, and he was just 6 years old.” He died in the Iditarod dog sled race. link
- Food for Thought podcast about eating a healthy vegan way on a budget: link
- Toronto Vegetarian Association podcast about granola, a cookbook review, and restaurants: link
- Iditarod: “I wanted to wring necks as they fell all over themselves sympathizing with a human who is perfectly fine and uninjured, while barely giving passing mentions to her dog Nigel–who has been missing in the brutal, bitter Alaskan wilderness since Monday’s accident, who was out there not by choice and who hasn’t been seen since Tuesday morning.” link Update: Nigel has been found.
- “Police are pursuing a charge of animal cruelty against a Freetown man for allegedly dragging a runaway cow home behind his truck, resulting in the animal’s death.” link and commentary
- VEGdaily takes on The Vancouver Sun for lying: “Nowhere in the published scientific study does it even mention the word ‘vegan’. Furthermore, the authors of the paper have admitted that ‘the subjects of this study may not have included a single vegan or even a vegetarian.’” link
- PETA’s suggestions for activism here.
- A response to “I think that animals should have rights, but I feel that going vegan is too extreme.” link
- 5 myths about veganism. link
- Got more vegan-related news? Leave your stories in the comments!
(And if you’re interested in writing for Vegan Soapbox, send an email to admin[at]vegansoapbox.com)