A compilation of various vegan things.
What to do with your Halloween pumpkin?
Ranting about how omnis who just don’t get it.
And a few podcasts, too…
- Pumpkin Muffins >>
- Pumpkin Soup >>
- Brooklyn vegan restaurants get a write-up >>
- Canada KFC vegan chicken gets a good review from Rise Against The Machine >>
- A reminder that a vegan “label does not have a standard or consistent definition and isn’t verified. Alternatively, a Certified Vegan label is a registered trademark signifying that products are vegan–meaning they contain no animal ingredients or by-products.” (However, I’m pretty sure we could win a lawsuit against a company that labeled products ‘vegan,’ but actually contained animal products.) Great article about food labels >>
- An omni reviews a vegan restaurant, makes biased, unfounded judgments about all vegans, and still gets a a pat on the back from some vegans. Granted, vegans and vegan things get so little media attention that we have to be thankful for any little breadcrumb dropped our way, however, in the age of the Internet, we should expect more. A top notch newspaper could, you know, find a vegan to review vegan restaurants. The omni reviews are always biased and always full of prejudice. For example, this reviewer, Frank Bruni wrote “vegans are antsy about what they’re missing” and “[veganism is] vegetarianism for real sticklers, a blessing to the colon but a hurdle for any hedonistic cook.” News flash to Mr. Bruni: I find great pleasure eating my vegan food. That other stuff might taste good to you, but to me it ISN’T food.
- But that’s nothing compared to this gem: “Vegetarianism is dead — long live meat!” Grrrr… Nope, veg*nism is still on the rise.
- Argh. Some skeptics can’t keep their minds open. Instead, they generalize activists and mischaracterize animal testing.
Vegans Speak Up:
- Interview with celeb Nellie McKay at Ecorazzi >>
- Joaquin Phoenix says his veganism makes him a “parent’s dream” >>
- Ann Parkin corrected an article about veganism >>
- Soapbox reader Bea Elliott suggests veganism for health and heart >>