Here are some links related to veganism and animal rights.
These links are suitable for new vegans, partial vegans, wannabe vegans, vegan-sympathizers, old-school vegans, hardcore vegans, and everyone in between.
We’ve got news, views, and a video, too.
- Events: June 20 is International Day of Action for Elephants in Zoos!
details here >>
- New vegan shoe hits to shelves: “A collaboration between Macbeth and Mike Dirnt from Green Day, the Schubert features a canvas and synthetic patent upper, vulcanized construction and a rubber sole.” link
- “A Primer on Veganism” by Stella Floyd here >>
- Four Reasons You Should Not Attend Animal Circuses: 1) The care and treatment of animals in circuses is shameful, 2) Animals in circuses pose threats to public health and safety, 3) Federal and state laws do not adequately regulate circuses, 4) Circuses do not conserve endangered species. Read the details here >>
- I could think of a better use for $100,000 than killing geese: “geese, which are flightless during the June and July molting season, are ‘herded into a corralled area and are picked up in wooden crates,’ he said. They are gassed with carbon dioxide.” link
- Regarding animal testing: “The use of animal experiments could be replaced by research on “virtual human beings” and tests on banks of living cells within a generation, scientists say.” link
- Puppymills: “IDA’s Northwest office is celebrating fantastic news – the recent bankruptcy and closure of Scamps Pet Stores, a chain of five puppy peddling pet stores in Oregon and Washington. For nearly a decade, IDA and other animal advocates in Portland, Oregon have been educating the public about Scamps’ scandalous business practices of selling puppy mill puppies.” link
- Good news: “The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private lending arm of the World Bank, has withdrawn a USD 90 million loan to Brazil’s cattle giant Bertin. The loan was used for the company to further expand into the Amazon region, which was causing destruction of the rainforest and fuelling global climate change.” link
- Thoughts on dog-killing: “China exterminates 36,000 dogs [...] I am in complete agreement with Leonardo Da Vinci, who stated, ‘As long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap the joy of love.’” link
- Upcoming conferences: Let Live and AR 2009
- Humor: What if we treated gymnasts the way we treat racehorses?
The Onion answers:
Gymnast Shawn Johnson Put To Sleep After Breaking Leg