Snippets of news, views, and stews from across the vegan web. There’s something for everyone here:
- Food: BRYANNA’S CHINESE VEGAN VELVET CORN SOUP
- Cooking: “Local vegetarian nonprofit Northwest VEG is seeking contestants for our first annual Vegan Valentines Bake-off Contest, which will be held on Sunday, February 15, following our regular monthly potluck dinner. Entries will be sampled and judged by a small panel of professional chefs, plus members of the public. Prizes in four categories will be awarded.” More here >>
- Animal Law: “The Dog Breeder License Act — nicknamed ‘Chloe’s Bill’ after a puppy mill survivor — would restrict people to having no more than 20 unneutered dogs at a time, a tiny number compared to the dozens upon dozens and even hundreds of dogs sometimes found in puppy mills,” reports Digging Through The Dirt.
- On New Year’s Resolutions: “This year I’ll be a less pusillanimous vegan. There will be firmer objections to the eating of animal. I won’t be good humoured about jokes and there will be no more indulging of pork sausages and swordfish steaks at my barbecues. All critical activities in this department will be directed at celebrity cooks and other opinion formers, not at the friends I wish to keep.” from Flesh is Grass.
- Fur: “Aretha Franklin wasn’t wearing ANY fur. Not a single tuft anywhere on her coat or hat, amazing. I once poked my head into her limo parked in Columbus Circle and explained to her why her wearing fur was cruel to animals…and offensive to me. So perhaps I should take full credit for her fashion choice today, ha! T” reports Anne from SuperVegan.
- On Power: “The anti-oppression view of veganism encompases both animal and human animal oppression. Power and privilege provide a common basis for understanding each of these oppressions. For many people, including myself, experience with multiple forms of oppression reveals patterns of interaction and behavior, all centered around power difference and privilege, common to all forms of oppression. For myself, it is difficult to speak in detail about any form of oppression without referring to power.” from L.O.V.E.
- Vegan Weddings: Abby says nonvegan parents should respect vegan couple’s wedding food: “I’m sure the food they offer will be not only delicious, but also sufficient to satisfy the guests, who may not even realize they aren’t being offered meat.If your husband is concerned about what will be served, he should eat before going to the wedding.”
- The Environmental Cost of Meat: “The FAO report found that current production levels of meat contribute between 14 and 22 percent of the 36 billion tons of “CO2-equivalent” greenhouse gases the world produces every year. It turns out that producing half a pound of hamburger for someone’s lunch a patty of meat the size of two decks of cards releases as much greenhouse gas into the atmosphere as driving a 3,000-pound car nearly 10 miles.” reports Scientific American.
- Cookbook Contest: Don’t forget we are having a cookbook contest here at the Soapbox. Just leave a comment to be entered into the random drawing. Go here to enter >>