Even though some non-vegans will swear up and down that there’s no such thing as a vegan BBQ, we vegans know that a vegan BBQ is not only possible, it’s also lots of fun!
Here is a list of some vegan options for your next BBQ:
- veggie burgers – grill ‘em up to your liking and sandwich ‘em between vegan buns or pita bread.
- veggie dogs (I like to call them “notdogs”) – just heat and serve
- corn on the cob – foil or without, either way it’s tasty! Top with margarine or salt.
- veggie shish-ka-bobs – these are probably the most common vegan item at any BBQ
- grilled tofu or seitan – be gentle with the tofu or freeze it the night before to keep it from crumbling on the grill. Seitan is a better option since it holds it shape.
- baked beans – these can take a while to cook on a BBQ flame so prepare them the night before on your stove and then just re-heat and serve.
- baked potatoes – just like corn, you can cook them wrapped in foil
- sweet potatoes or yams – wrap in foil, brush with margarine or maple syrup and grill
- veggie chili – you can use beans only or you can toss in some TVP for the chewy, meaty texture.
- veggie sloppy-joes – similar to baked beans or chili.
- veggie packets – take your favorite veggies and put them on foil. Season with your favorite spices and water or oil, and wrap the foil up. Toss on the grill til they’re ready to eat.
- panini - use vegan cheese
- grilled portobello mushrooms – make these the “burgers”
Then, of course, there are all the Summer side dishes that don’t go on the grill. Some ideas: watermelon, fruit salad with agave, balsamic potato salad, macaroni salad with vegan mayo, green salad, vegan sugar cookies or vegan chocolate cupcakes… the list goes on and on…
Find some vegan BBQ recipes here:
- Recipe Zaar vegan BBQ section
- About.com vegetarian BBQ section – double check, some things are lacto-ovo vegetarian, not vegan
- ‘No Blues’ BBQ
- BBQ Stuffed Potato With Fried Onions and Artichokes
- BBQ Tofu Salad
- Korean BBQ Sauce
- Sweet Tofu BBQ
- The Mad Cowboy
- Vegan Barbecue Ribz
- Fesenjun Tofu