Here at Vegan Soapbox I’ve been meaning to make a collection of answers to common questions about veganism for newbie vegans and omnivores. Eventually, I will get around to it, but until then, I found some other Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about veganism on the web.
At these websites, you’ll be able to find the answers to all or most of your questions about vegans and veganism. Or, if you’re already vegan and other people are asking you these questions, you can direct them to these websites instead of answering the questions yourself over and over again.
Some sample questions:
- What about protein? Vitamin B12? Iron?
- Is it possible to be a vegan athlete – a serious athlete?
- Isn’t being vegan expensive?
- Is refined sugar vegan? How about honey?
- Doesn’t the Bible say we should be eating animals?
- I have food allergies. Can I still be a vegetarian?
- What about free range?
- Isn’t seafood healthy?
- Plants feel too. Animals are killed in plant agriculture, too.
- Isn’t soy dangerous?
- What would happen to all the animals if humans didn’t breed and eat them?
- Are most vegetarians liberals or conservatives?
- I have cancer/diabetes/other disease, can I go vegan?
There are a lot of misconceptions about veganism. I’d say most omnivores lack serious understanding of veganism (both as a diet and as a lifestyle/philosophy). Many understand the basics: Veganism is about a lifestyle that seeks to reduce or eliminate animal suffering and exploitation. They might understand that vegans don’t eat meat, but many people aren’t sure where the line is drawn (hint: it’s different for each vegan, but generally vegans avoid ALL animal products whenever possible). But many omnivores don’t understand the full rationales for veganism nor do they understand specific issues. Hence, the array of vegan FAQs on the web.
OK, finally, here are the current, online FAQs about vegans and veganism:
- Vegan Outreach FAQs – very friendly and kind.
- International Vegetarian Union FAQs
- Toronto Vegetarian Association FAQs
- Bryanna’s Vegan Feast FAQs
- Bryanna’s Vegan Feast FAQs part 2
- Vegan Family Living FAQs
- Vegan Action FAQs
- Vegetarian Resource Group FAQs
- In Defense of Animals FAQs
- John Robbins’ FAQs – author of Food Revolution and Diet for a New America
- Vegan Society FAQs
- ALF Vegan FAQs
- PCRM Vegan FAQs
- PCRM Vegan Health FAQs
- Vegan FAQ blog – I love this blog! It’s full of great, smart, and witty responses and it’s full of energy.
This is part of the “Vegan Toolbox” series of articles at Vegan Soapbox.