Here are some Swine Flu (also known as “H1N1 flu”) facts:
- “Studies have shown that 30% to 50% of commercial U.S. swine have been infected with swine flu.”
- “Recent studies have shown that 15% to 25% of swine farmers might have been infected with swine flu viruses, as well as about 10% of veterinarians.”
- “outbreaks in pigs are common, especially during winter months.”
- “The number of subtypes and strains of flu virus circulating among U.S. herds has complicated swine flu vaccine programs”
- “some cases of human-to-human transmission have been reported.”
Information source: from the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) brochure entitled “Swine Influenza (Flu) in Pigs and People” at
(formerly http://cdc.gov/swineflu/pdf/brochure.pdf) retrieved April 30, 2009.
Image is also from the same source. That’s an American pig farm.