A new Mercy For Animals (MFA) undercover investigation into an egg supplier exposes a giant secret ingredient in egg dishes: outrageous cruelty to animals.
The video is online at http://www.mcdonaldscruelty.com/
The hidden-camera footage was taken at Sparboe Egg Farm facilities in Iowa, Minnesota and Colorado.
In the video you’ll see:
- “Hens crammed into filthy wire cages with less space for each bird than a standard-sized sheet of paper to live her entire miserable life, unable to fully stretch her wings or engage in most other natural behaviors
- Workers burning off the beaks of young chicks without any painkillers and callously throwing them into cages, some missing the cage doors and hitting the floor
- Rotted hens, decomposed beyond recognition as birds, left in cages with hens still laying eggs for human consumption
- A worker tormenting a bird by swinging her around in the air while her legs were caught in a grabbing device – violence described as ‘torture’ by another worker
- Chicks trapped and mangled in cage wire – others suffering from open wounds and torn beaks
- Live chicks thrown into plastic bags to be suffocated”
Most rational people would agree that farmed animals should be given the freedom to walk, stretch their limbs, turn around and engage in natural behaviors… at the very least. Yet, this egg supplier deprives hens of even these most basic freedoms by using barren battery cages.
These types of battery cages are so cruel that the entire European Union and the states of California and Michigan have banned their use. Not only are these battery cages cruel, battery cages also increase the health risks of eggs to consumers. Additionally, leading food retailers, such as Whole Foods, Hellmann’s, and Wolfgang Puck, and hundreds of colleges and universities refuse to use or sell eggs from hens subjected to the inherent abuses of battery cages.
Sadly, not a single federal law currently provides any protection to birds from birth to death - at the hatchery, on the factory farm, or during slaughter. Moreover, there exist a large number of legal exemptions for farmed animals which allow for abuses to run rampant without prosecution.
You hold enormous power in preventing animal abuse by adopting a compassionate vegan diet. Please choose vegan options today!