The Inaugural Committee provided the Inaugural Dinner recipes online. I figured I’d reduce the cost by veganizing these recipes. This reduces the economic cost of the actual food (so real American families can afford to eat it) as well as reducing the cost to animals, the cost to people’s health, and the cost to the environment.
First course of the Inauguaral Dinner was Seafood Stew. This veganized version below is not exactly seafood tasting, but it’s tasty-looking nonetheless. Come on, seitan, veggies, and puff pasty? It’s pretty hard to make that taste bad. But it should be noted that this recipe has not yet been tested. It’s a rough draft. Want to try it out and leave a comment? Let’s perfect this recipe together.
The People’s Presidential Stew
Yield: 10 servings (at least)
- 6 pounds seitan, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 20 ounces tofu, cubed and frozen
- vegan Worcestershire sauce
- olive oil
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- ½ cup small diced carrots
- ½ cup small diced celery
- ½ cup small diced leek
- ½ cup small diced Idaho potato
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper or black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 quart non-dairy cream or milk
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 10 (5 inch) puff pastry rounds
- Marinate the seitan and tofu in vegan Worcestershire sauce for 30 minutes.
- Fry the seitan and tofu in a bit of olive oil and set aside.
- Bring 2 quarts of vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the seitan and tofu to the broth.
- Add all vegetables to the broth.
- Allow the broth with veggies, seitan, and tofu to continue to boil until only 1qt of liquid remains.
- Add the vermouth and cream and continue to boil.
- Season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- You have reached the desired thickness when the sauce will cover the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees.
- Scoop mixture into terrines or oven proof baking dish of your choice.
- Cover terrines with puff pastry rounds and brush the tops with melted vegan margarine.
- Bake them until golden brown (about 8-10 minutes).
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.