The Humane Society has a new campaign urging people to adopt shelter pets. The campaign is simple. It’s a pledge to make your next pet a rescue.
That’s it! But you know what? I bet it will work. When people promise to do something, they’re more likely to actually do it than if they don’t promise to do it. So this campaign could encourage a whole slew of people who would have bought a puppy from a breeder or pet store to adopt from a shelter instead.
You know what else will work? If you get involved in helping save the lives of shelter animals. Here are just a few armchair activism ideas that you can use to help needy animals find forever homes:
- Send your friends an email asking them to pledge to adopt a shelter animal. Use the HSUS’s campaign or just send your own email asking for a pledge.
- In your favorite web forums (about videos games, poker, crafts, religion, etc.) post a thread about shelter animal adoption.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper encouraging readers to adopt.
- Put a petfinder badge or widget on your website.
- Wear t-shirts that promote animal adoption. Options are available from PETA or you can make your own!
- Post the contact information for your local animal shelters and rescue groups in your local Craigslist “pets” section. Add a picture to get more attention.
- Add photos of your adopted animals to this Flickr group.
- Work to end puppymills.
Got more ideas? Please share.