More and more people care about animals, all over the world. Our society is changing:
“the World Society for Protection of Animals (WSPA), a relatively moderate animal rights group, increased its donations by 80%, displacing PETA as the third largest activist group [focussing on] modern animal agriculture.”
Anti-animal people often use PETA as the punching bag for their anti-animal, and anti-advocate propaganda. But according to their own report, PETA only ranks number 4 in terms of financial power. According to their perspective, the strongest allies to animals, in order of financial power to help animals, are:
- Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)
- Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA)
- World Society for the Protection of Animals
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- Farm Sanctuary
- Compassion in World Farming
- Friends of Animals (FoA)
- Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF)
- Humane Farming Association
- Animal Acres
We should remember, though, that there are also plenty of powerful organizations working with smaller budgets. For example, this website is run at a loss. And the money comes straight out of my pocket. It’s just a few dedicated people who earn nothing from doing it. We pay hosting, maintenance, everything. And we don’t ask for any donations. We just write and write and write. Yet, we help create new vegans every day.
Money is a powerful thing and lots of good can be accomplished with that resource. But no matter how much money we have, animal advocates will continue to work for animals’ lives.