The Inaugural Committee provided the Inaugural Dinner recipes online. Unfortunately, NONE of the foods were vegan, not even the vegetables! Shame on them!
So, I figured I’d veganize these recipes. This reduces the economic cost of the actual food so normal people can afford to eat it. But it does more: veganizing the food reduces the cost to animals, the cost to people’s health, and the cost to the environment.
Today, a side dish of mashed sweet potatoes. This one’s just too easy to veganize. We simply replaced the butter with a vegan substitute.
Molasses Whipped Sweet Potatoes for Real People
Yield: 2 quarts
- 3 large sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.
- Peel the skin off of the sweet potatoes while still hot.
- By hand or mixer, smash potatoes until all large chunks are gone.
- Combine the potatoes, margarine, salt, orange juice, brown sugar, ground cumin, molasses and maple syrup in a large bowl. Continue to mix all together until all lumps are gone.
- Adjust any of the seasonings to your specific tastes.
Option: If you’re short on time, you can microwave or boil the sweet potatoes instead of baking them in the oven.