The video maker, Vegan Tears, says this about the video:
“What Al Gore ‘forgot’ to mention… No more excuses, go vegan today.”
From Vegan Outreach’s “Why Vegan“:
Climate change: With rising temperatures, rising sea levels, melting icecaps and glaciers, shifting ocean currents and weather patterns, climate change is the most serious challenge facing the human race. The livestock sector is a major player, responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions measured in CO2 equivalent. This is a higher share than transport….Livestock are also responsible for almost two-thirds (64 percent) of anthropogenic ammonia emissions, which contribute significantly to acid rain and acidification of ecosystems.
And just to clarify somethings for a few nonvegan readers:
- We can grow vegetables, fruits, legumes and other plants without the use of agricultural waste. That’s right, we don’t need cow poop to fertilize the fields.
- Even if we did need or want cow manure, we don’t need nearly as much as is being produced right now.
- And… cows don’t need to be slaughtered and eaten in order to produce poop. In fact, they do that better alive.
- But… eating them won’t stop the problem because the “producers” will just “make” more cows.*
- It’s not just poop, it’s their food, too. Manure is responsible for about 18 million tonnes of methane emissions per year, but animal feed production is responsible for over 40 million tonnes of CO2 emissions per year. (source: FAO)
- And finally, no, there’s no such thing as “sustainable meat.” If you care about the environment, GO VEGAN.
* Someone recently told me that “vegans cause climate change because they won’t eat the cows and the cows only destroy the environment when they’re alive.” I kid you not. People come up with some strange ideas. I just said, “that’s not true” and handed him a pamphlet about veganism.